Thai Fried Rice
There is a new cooking show (oh yeah ..I know .. not another one!!) on Create TV. The weird bowtie guy on Cooks County bailed to this new show, “Milk Street”. I got a chance to watch and was kind of impressed with the diversity of the recipes. Like this one.
I liked the way this one sounded – I like the ingredients and wanted to try it.
Pssst! Don’t use hot or warm rice, it will clump up
1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon white sugar
4 cups cooked and chilled jasmine rice
1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta or unsmoked bacon, chopped
4 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced, reserved separately
1 large shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
Sliced cucumber and lime wedges, to serve
pickled chilies, or Sriracha Fridge Pickles to serve (optional)
- In a bowl, stir together the fish sauce, soy sauce, water and sugar. Set aside.
- Use your hands to break up the rice so no clumps remain. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high, heat the oil until just smoking. Pour in the eggs and cook, stirring, until just set. Transfer the eggs to a plate.
- Add the pancetta or unsmoked bacon to the skillet and cook over medium until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the plate with the eggs.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from cooking the bacon in the skillet and return to medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites, shallot and garlic, then cook until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir the fish sauce mixture, then pour over the rice. Cook, stirring, until well mixed. Stir in the pancetta and egg, breaking up the egg.
- Transfer to a large platter and sprinkle with cilantro and scallion greens. Serve with cucumber, lime wedges and pickled chilies or Sriracha Fridge Pickles.