My son and his family have been enjoying turkey burgers for some time. I thought I would give it a try. Everyone loved the outcome. I hope you will too.
2 lbs ground 85% lean Turkey
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 tsp salt substitute
1 tsp coarse ground pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley chopped fine, or 2 Tbs dry
3 Tbs olive oil (2 tbs in the burger + 1 Tbs to caramelize)
- Prep ingredients. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix together the ground turkey, olive oil, eggs, bread crumbs, salt substitute, pepper, onion powder, garlic, cilantro/parsley, and Worcestershire sauce in a large mixing bowl and combine. Do not over work the ground meat
- Shape into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- In a skillet, add 1 Tbs oil and heat till shimmering, almost smoking hot. Add burgers and caramelize each side of the burger (2-3 min/side). Only turn the burgers once. We are not cooking the burger through at this step. Repeat until all of your burgers have nicely caramelized-browned on both sides.
- Equally space each caramelized burger on a foil covered cookie sheet and place in the preheated oven on a middle shelf
- Prep your toppings – sliced onions, tomatoes and lettuce, pickles or jalapeño slices. Have good mayo, mustard and catsup as well.
- Check burgers internal temp. They are ready for serving when they reach 165 degrees, take them out of the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. Use this time to prepare each bun.
Enjoy wonderfully flavorful and juicy turkey burgers!