Twice Baked Potatoes
I have enjoyed this disk many times over the years and even cooked it a time or two as a teen working at the Golden Ram restaurant on Coral Way in Miami. But I had never had it at home until now. It was wonderful and well worth the effort of cooking it twice. Our house enjoyed a dairy-free diet person so we adjusted.
6 large baking potatoes, washed, dried, and oiled
8 slices bacon or equivalent of good prosciutto, chopped bite-sized
½ cup milk (*optional)
6 Tbs of I can’t believe its not butter
1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese(or Dairy Free Cheddar) divided
8 green onions, sliced, divided
Salt Substitute and Pepper to taste
1 tsp Tajin Spice
1 cup sour cream for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake potatoes in the preheated oven until tender, about 1 hour, depending on the size of your potatoes. Set potatoes aside until cool enough to handle.
- After the potatoes are baking, place bacon or prosciutto, in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and set aside.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a large bowl; save skins. Add milk*, can’t believe its not butter, salt, pepper, 1/2 of the cheese, and 1/2 of the green onions to the potato; mix with a hand mixer until well blended and creamy. Spoon the mixture into the potato skins; top each with remaining cheese, green onions, and bacon.
- Return potatoes to the preheated oven and continue baking until the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Serve with sour cream and hot sauce on the side.