January 28, 2021
“Maayong Buntag ”, or “Good Morning!” in Cebuano (Binisaya), a Philippine language spoken in Central Visayas and other parts of the Philippines, specifically in Cebuano as spoken in Northern Mindanao. It is Day 329 since the first California Lock Down. We just started to vaccinate geezers (65+) this week. We only have 1 drive thru location in our county so getting appts is tough (just keep hitting refresh on the appt. site!).
This week I was appalled at all of the typos I found in last weeks UJT Update and on the web site (the band’s name “Van Halen” does not begin with the letters JV!). Please if you find these things just reply back and I will fix them. I think I may have mentioned before that my proof reader drinks a bit. I can’t fire him as he is part of the family and no one else would take the job!
Been a great week for music! My brother Mike started it off by reminding me about this album that I found a while back, “The Breeze – The Music of JJ Cale by Eric Clapton and friends. I have even featured one song from this record on UJT Radio some time ago but for various reasons never got back to listening to the whole album until my bro sent me another cut. I ended up getting the whole album downloaded within an hour. It just just such a great collection of songs and guitar work by lots of great players. Then yesterday, Mike sent me a set of TCL wireless headphones!!! They are sooooo great! Now I can be one of those guys you run into at Walmart, who are almost singing in time and in tune to a song that only they can hear. Neil Diamond turned 80 years old on January 24! I always like Neils music whenever I heard it but to be honest I never bought one of his albums. I wonder why that is?
This week I learned some stuff:
• I reprised my new Dutch Apple Pie recipe this week and converted BJ into a dessert eating apple pie guy! Try it you won’t be sorry. Remember you can swap Splenda ( at 1/2 the amount of regular sugar) for the sugar and its just as good.
•January 28th is the 28th day of 2021!. Just 331 days till Christmas! Today in 1813, Jane Austin published, “Pride and Prejudice”; On this day in 1851, Northwestern University becomes the first chartered university in Illinois; Today in 1915, U.S. Congress creates the United States Coast Guard as a branch of the United States Armed Forces; In 1935, Iceland becomes the first Western country to legalize therapeutic abortion.; On this day in 1985, Supergroup USA for Africa (United Support of Artists for Africa) records the hit single “We Are the World”, to help raise funds for Ethiopian famine relief; Today in 1986, Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates after liftoff, killing all seven astronauts on board; Today in 1936, Alan Alda, American actor, director, and writer was born; Born today in 1950, Funkadelic’s Billy Bass Nelson, American R&B/funk bass player; Sarah McLachlan, Canadian singer-songwriter, pianist, and producer was born today in 1968; Today in 1981, Frodo, Aka. Elijah Wood, American actor and producer was born; Sgt Shultz, ohn Banner, Austrian actor passed away today in 1973; Challenger Space Shuttle crew passed away today in 1986; We lost Jerry Siegel, American author and illustrator, co-created Superman on this day in 1996; Traffic’s Jim Capaldi, English singer-songwriter and drummer passed today in 2005;And finally, Jefferson Airplane’s Paul Kantner, American singer-songwriter and guitarist passed away in 2016.
This week we made the following changes:
• Last week for the UJT Vocabulary Quiz.
•Week 2 for Musical Trivia Quiz !!
•This week I added a dairy free pasta recipe that was very tasty.
Writing, Ceramics, Stained Glass and Painting Update:
•I am still struggling a bit with getting my act together. I don’t like to dwell on negative stuff but it feels like this start up is taking longer than it should. I realize my frustration is born in the choices that I am making but at the moment that does not seem to help. I need to make progress on goals I set or I get grumpy with me and the world around me. Jack’s passing really surprised me and it kind of feels like I am in some sort of slow motion stumble. Ah but this too shall pass. I can’t wait to tell you all about it next week!
•This week I attended my 2nd watercolor classes of the new year. Whoopeee!
•Grandpa Stories is still not re-published.
•I have hit a dead end on finding Jack’s Ex and kids unless his brother or one of the EDS Canada guys contacts me via Linked In or Facebook. Given the complete lack of response from his brother and from what Jack told me of his EDS Canada gofing buds, I am not hopeful. I am afraid it will be the estate lawyers who will find them. I would have liked to have met them at least electronically.
Once again, your fossilized DJ takes you on another meander through the dusty cobwebs of my music library.
• Sarah McLachlan — Angel — This is one of the prettiest and saddest songs I know. She wrote it to digest the passing of Jonathan Melvoin (1961–1996), the Smashing Pumpkins’ touring keyboard player who died of a heroin overdose. This was a huge hit for her on her 1997 release, “Surfacing”. Happy Birthday Sarah!!!
• Taylor Swift — august — This is another great song from a her, “Folkore” released in 2020. She is just so impressive to me. I don’t love all of her music but i admire the person, character and the work ethic of this gifted young woman.
• Eric Clapton – Someday (feat. Mark Knopfler) – My brother sent this to me and I ended up buying the whole album, Released in 2014, :The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale” is just a great record! What is not to love?? All the songs are from JJ Cale and the record features, Mark, Tom Petty, Willie Nelson, John Mayer, Derrek Trucks and several other great artists.
• The Wallflowers — Beautiful Side of Somewhere — Just Bobby Dylan’s son’s band doing good things from their “Rebel, Sweetheart” album released in 2005. He kind of sounds like his dad on this song.
• Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young — King Midas In Reverse — This is a deep cut from their “4 Way Street ” live album released in 1975.
• Phoebe Snow — No Show Tonight — A deep cut flash back from her 1975 album “Phoebe Snow ”. There is always something special for me when I listen to Phoebe.
That’s it… Do the best you can; Laugh every chance you get; And always remember … The best is yet to come! As always, thank you for being my friend!