February 7th, 2019
“Quid agis mane?” Wishing all a fine “Good Morning” in Latin.
This week I was drinking with my dog one night. I must have dosed off because when she dropped her glass I jumped up and cut my toe. Poor old girl ! She just can’t hold her liquor like she used to.
This week my dad would have had his 90th birthday (I think). I would have liked to have a chat with my 90 year old did but that wasn’t the hand dealt to us so I did the next best thing. Raise a glass to my favorite rascal! A gentleman with a quick smile and warm heart. Semper Fidelis Marine!
This week we also treated ourselves to one of our family’s favorite dishes..Ropa Vieja. I highly recommend it. The slow cooker version with chuck steak works very well. You can do the prep in the morning and put it on low and eat well when you get home. Yum..
This week I learned some stuff:
• The newest versions of iPhone software are amazing. I now get a weekly report telling me how much time I spend using my phone, what percentage of time is spent doing what and even the average number of notifications I am getting from my phone. This report reminds me of how much more time I could be spending writing or painting.
• Its another “3fer” National holiday today, We have National Periodic Table day, National Send a Card to a Friend Day and lastly, National Fettuccine Alfredo Day. So memorize the Periodic Table and send a card to a friend to celebrate your accomplishment with your recipe for Fettuccine Alfredo enclosed.
• Week 2 for the New Vocabulary Quiz.
• Last week for the “New” UJT Music Trivia Quiz!!!
• I added a few more paintings that I finished this week to the Things to See page.
• I added a new recipe too. I hadn’t done any serious seafood cooking in a while so I came up with a nice version of Seafood Linguine that turned out really good.
Writing, Ceramics and Painting Update:
• I attempted to paint a couple more of Chris Spain’s photos. Also found a couple of other nice fall imagines on FB, that I would love to try to paint but have to see if I can find the owners and get their permission.
• Grandpa Stories is still not re-published.
• I missed my second state of the union address of my life this week. I simply do not have the forbearance to listen to “a sexual predator that lost the popular vote by over 3 million votes” denigrate our country’s character and humanity. I have zero tolerance for his bullshit self serving agenda or hearing the lies that support it.
From time to time the fearless UJT listeners will send in a suggestion and often find their music on the UJT Playlist. Please feel free to let me know of any good music that you have found or would thing our listeners might like.
Go to this week’s UJT Radio program.
• Beach Boys — Sloop John B — One of my favorite all time BB songs. If you love sweet harmonies, you need look no further. I am not sure what they used for the bottom of this song but it kind of sounds like someone farting through a tuba:).
• Beatles — Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite — A deep cut from Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, one of my favorite Beatles albums.
• Marvin Gaye — Sexual Healing — Always thought of this one as one of the coolest “mood” songs. But it you just listen closely you will hear a very very tight jazzy combination of percussion, bass, guitars and vocals.
• Leo Kottke – Arms of Mary (Live) – Leo Kottke doesn’t play the 12 string guitar. He makes love with it. I have always love the sound of a 12 string ever since I heard it the first time played by the Byrds. But no one plays it like Leo.
• Shane Smith and the Saints — All I See is You — There is just something about these guys that pulls me in. This one comes from their album “Geronimo” released in 2015.
• Wild Child — Expectations — A friend of mine shared this with me this week and I am hooked. This band is just tight and I really love the lead singer’s voice… soulful white girl:) This is the title cut from their 2018 release. Check it out…google it to see the video.
• Wild Child — Sinking Ship — This one is a very different sound from the same album. Very pensive, beautiful and sad.
That’s it… Do the best you can; Laugh every chance you get; And always remember … The best is yet to come!
As always, thank you for being my friend!