February 14th, 2019
“Iуьйре дика йойла (Jüyre dika yoyla)” Wishing all a fine “Good Morning” in Chechen.
I thought all of his specious arguments for his “Wall” was just pandering to his followers (i.e. blind idiots) but the more SCROTUS keeps whining about the need to protect us from the teaming unwashed masses invading our borders with guns in one hand a kilo if Mexican Heroin under the other the more concerned I get. Today, building this wall is clearly billion dollar boondoggle that will increase the deficit even more than his disastrous tax policies. But I have underestimated this miscreant in the past. So I started to wonder, other than the pandering part, what benefit could this Cretan obtain from this. The only thing I can think of is an executive action perpetrating some military action inspiring some sort of border incursion. I would agree with only one part of this wall business – a 50 foot wall probably will slow down the number of 11-15 year old kids from Guatemala storming the border to die in ICE custody.
This week I learned some stuff:
• Valentines Day ! The 18th century Brits extended their version of “courtly” love in to day to celebrate lovers with candy and flowers. I hope you didn’t forget!
• I relearned about what great writer Ray Bradbury was. I have just started, “Something Wicked This Way Comes(1962). I read, “The Illustrated Man” back when I was almost an infant. I had forgotten how powerful his vocabulary and command of the language was. I highly recommend you check it out … literally .. from you Library .. Ray was a huge fan of libraries!
• Week 2 for the New Vocabulary Quiz.
• “New” UJT Music Trivia Quiz!!!Woohoo!
• Every once and a while I some how end up with too many cucumbers in my vegetable bin. In such cases, I revert to my mom’s most excellent Cream Cucumber Salad. I have added it to the Snacks, Whores Devours and Soup section of the UJT site. Enjoy!
Writing, Ceramics and Painting Update:
• I continue to refine or mess up, depending upon your perspective my painting style. I am attempting tougher subjects and it shows:) But so far a lot of it doesn’t suck totally.
• Grandpa Stories is still not re-published.
• Its finally winter in San Diego. Overnight the temps are dropping into the late thirties. I switched to my winter version of my official old retired guy wardrobe (i.e. swapped shorts for sweat pants and started wearing my old Grateful Dead hoodie. Oh how we suffer for the elements. I really kind of bothers me until I turn on the TV and see how it is everywhere else!
From time to time the fearless UJT listeners will send in a suggestion and often find their music on the UJT Playlist. Please feel free to let me know of any good music that you have found or would thing our listeners might like.
Go to this week’s UJT Radio program.
• Jack Johnson — We’re Gonna Be Friends — One of Jack’s sweet lullabies. From the Curious George sound track.
• Casey Hensley feat. Laura Chavez — Put Your Lovin’ Where It Belongs — Just an old fashioned kind of naughty girl blues sung and played well. From their “Live” album released in 2017.
• The Shins — Name for You — Another cool cut from their 2017 release, “Heartworms”. These guys are just tight!
• Jackson Browne – Tender is the Night – A classic from way back in 1983 from, “Lawyers in Love”. This just a great piece of songwriting!
• James Taylor — Memphis — This is just a very soulful cover of a great standard Chuck Berry song released on his “Other Covers” album in 2008. I also think it is a great showcase for James’ most excellent guitar skills.
• Wild Child — Follow Me — Another cut from the album I discovered last week. This music is so thoughtful and plays to the bands strengths.
• Vargo — The Moment — Kind of a very cool jazzy techno thing going on here. This is a german band I found on a compilation album called Rumbo Sur. Enjoy!
That’s it… Do the best you can; Laugh every chance you get; And always remember … The best is yet to come!
As always, thank you for being my friend!