February 24th, 2022
“Iуьйре дика йойла (Jüyre dika yoyla)”, or “Good Morning!” in Chechen, a North East Caucasian language spoken mainly in Chechnya in the Russian Federation.
I like to think my weeks start on Saturdays now that I am retired. I enjoy starting each Saturday drinking my coffee and reading the Good News newsletter from CNN. This week featured a story about 2 women who achieved something spectacular and historic. Brittney Johnson is the first black woman to play Galinda or Glinda the Good Witch, the lead in ”Wicked” on Broadway. She received a 2 minute standing ovation at the end of her performance. The second woman, Sofia Jirau, a 24-year-old model and business owner became the first woman with down syndrome to get selected as a Victoria Secret Model. “One day I dreamt it, I worked at it and today it’s a dream come true,” Jirau said of her appearance. I can only imagine the character, courage and strength it must have taken for these women to achieve these milestones.
This week I learned some stuff:
• This week we had to deal with a fatal diagnosis for LaDainian Thomlinson (AKA, Little Tommy), their cat. He has enjoyed a sixteen year command over our domain. Tommy has his own baby stroller for transport. He has a kitty condo and every cat toy available that he can ignore any time he feels so inclined. It has been a particularly tough time for my daughter and granddaughter. As far as I know, Tommy has tolerated just one male, our grandson. During a visit my son determined that the cat was evil incarnate that trapped Sean in an upstairs hallway and had to be rescued. Tommy stayed with me once when his family went on a cat-free road trip and he was so grateful he left a small pile of stinky distain upon my pillow. So our relationship has been difficult. But none of that matters now. I know how hard it is to loose a pet and worse yet, having to decide to end their life because you can’t let them suffer. Saying that goodbye to these family members is always heart breaking. Whenever I think of heaven, all our furry friends are waiting ready to continue loving us unconditionally forever.
• February 24th is the 55th day of 2022. Just 313 days till Christmas! Today in 1868, Andrew Johnson becomes the first President of the United States to be impeached by the United States House of Representatives. He is later acquitted in the Senate; Today in 1920, Nancy Astor becomes the first woman to speak in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom following her election as a Member of Parliament (MP) three months earlie; That same year, the Nazi Party (NSDAP) was founded by Adolf Hitler in the Hofbräuhaus beer hall in Munich, Germany; On this day in 1942, the Battle of Los Angeles: A false alarm led to an anti-aircraft barrage that lasted into the early hours of February 25.; In 1983 on this day, a special commission of the United States Congress condemns the Japanese American internment during World War II; Today in 2008, Fidel Castro retires as the President of Cuba and the Council of Ministers after 32 years. He remains as head of the Communist Party for another three years: Today in 1885, Chester W. Nimitz, American admiral was born: Born today in 1921, Abe Vigoda, (AKA Barney Miller’s Detective Fish) American actor; Today in 1925, Bud Day, American Air Force colonel and pilot, Medal of Honor recipient was born; Born today in 1942, Manfred Man’s Paul Jones, English singer, harmonica player, and actor; TSteve Jobs, American businessman, co-founded Apple Inc. and Pixar, was born today in 1955; Robert Fulton, American engineer and inventor of the steamboat passed away today in 1815; George Gobel, American actor passed away today in 1991;Dinah Shore, American actress and singer passed away in 1994; Don Knotts, American actor and comedian died today in 2006; On the same day, we lost Dennis Weaver (AKA Chester on Gunsmoke), American actor, director, and producer; And finally, today in 2014, we lost Harold Ramis, (AKA Ghostbuster, Egoa Spengler) American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter.
• Week two for our new Vocabulary Quiz
• A new Musical Trivia Quiz!!!!
• I tried a new Cornish Game hen recipe but I need to tweak it some more before I inflict it on you nice folks.
• The Home Page quote tis week is from Bertrand Russell, ”The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
Writing, Ceramics, Stained Glass and Painting Update:
• I am painting again! But not as often as I should.
• Grandpa Stories is once again making progress towards being republished. It is taking me longer this time because I have to use a page magnifier to see the print well enough to read. I just finished editing another chapter!
• Where were you at 2:22 am on 02/22/2022?? How weird is that ?? I was asleep in bed and didn’t feel a thing!
Once again, yours truly takes you on another meander through the dusty cobwebs of my music library. This week I have a lovely mix of new and old that I hope you will enjoy.
This week’s UJT Radio Program:
• Eric Burton and the Animals – Sky Pilot — This band didn’t have that many hits but the ones they did have! House of the Rising Sun and this one were all big time songs growing up. This is all about Nam as viewed from a Chaplin. This one comes from “Twain Shall Meet” released in 1968.
• Supertramp — Bloody Well Right — This band was so gifted and tight. This comes from their 1974 release, “Crime of the Century”.
• The Beatles — Two of Us — This is a deep cut from, “Let It Be” released in 1970. If you haven’t watched “Get Back” you really should.
• The Derek Trucks Band — All I do — This is a cut from his “Songlines” album released in 2006 before he merged with Susan.
• Loggins and Messina – House at Pooh Corner — This one comes back to me from their “Sittin’ In” album released in 1971 and makes me smile each time it rolls around on the music merry-go-round. I connect up to a magic moment or two in my life where everything around me crackled with a sparkly softness and sweetness.
• Spirit — Nature’s Way — This song seems so sweet and simple but we still haven’t listened. Its from their 1970 release, “Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus”.
That’s it… Do the best you can; Laugh every chance you get; Always remember… The best is yet to come! As always, thank you for being my friend!