March 17th, 2022
“Maidin Mhaith”, or “Good Morning!” in the Goidelic language of the Insular Celtic branch of the Celtic language family, which is a part of the Indo-European language family. Irish is indigenous to the island of Ireland and was the population’s first language until the late 18th century.
Big week for the McCann Clan!!! Sean, Jenny, Asa and Chloe arrived on Saturday! It is the first time that our extended family has gathered in too long. All the old people smile and exclaim, “ You have gotten so big” 🙂 Big Hugs! Kids are thinking, “You have gotten so old!!! Seems there is a lot more to hug than last time! I wonder what texts and posts I missed during the flight!”.
This week I learned some stuff:
• March 17th is the 76th day of 2022. Just 292 days till Christmas! Today in 1776, the British Army evacuates Boston, ending the Siege of Boston, after George Washington and Henry Knox place artillery in positions overlooking the city; Today in 1942, the first Jews from the Lvov Ghetto are gassed at the Belzec death camp in what is today eastern Poland; In 1958 on this day, the United States launches the first solar-powered satellite, which is also the first satellite to achieve a long-term orbit; Today in 1960, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs the National Security Council directive on the anti-Cuban covert action program that will ultimately lead to the Bay of Pigs Invasion; Today in 1966, off the coast of Spain in the Mediterranean, the DSV Alvin submarine finds a missing American hydrogen bomb; In 1969 on this day, Golda Meir becomes the first female Prime Minister of Israel; Today in 1992, a referendum to end apartheid in South Africa is passed 68.7% to 31.2%; Today in 1919, Nat King Cole, American singer, pianist, and television host was born: Born today in 1938 ,Rudolf Nureyev, Russian-French dancer and choreographer; Paul Kantner, American singer-songwriter and guitarist for Jefferson Airplane was born today in 1941; John Wayne Gacy, American serial killer and rapist was born today in 1942; John Sebastian, American singer-songwriter and guitarist was born today in 1944;Today in 1951, Kurt Russell, American actor and producer was born; “Lt. Dan”(AKA Gary Sinise) American actor, director, andbass player was born today in 1955; Rob Lowe, American actor and producer was born today in 1964; John Backus, American mathematician and computer scientist, designed Fortran passed away today in 2007;
• Week Two Vocabulary Quiz!
• A New Musical Trivia Quiz!! Yeah!!!
• I didn’t add any new recipes this week.
• The Home Page quote tis week is from Louis Pasteur, ”Fortune favors the prepared mind.”
Writing, Ceramics, Stained Glass and Painting Update:
• I am painting again! But not as often as I should.
• I have paper edited 3 more chapters of Grandpa Stories. Progress towards being republished. Paper editing might be just a little fun as I relive the stories! Maybe it just sucks a little less.
• If you want to feel old talk to a young person. If you want to feel young, talk to an old person. You both have things you missed or never knew that you can share.
• This week before our inspection, we did a test run and labeled all of our circuits on the new panel. We got to see our new batteries charging and our house run on just the batteries!! WhooHoo!
This is a special week in that it is St.Paddy’s Day and we have all of our younglings in town. So I have included our traditional song to celebrate the day as well as asked the kinfolk what songs they might want to hear on UJT Radio.
This week’s UJT Radio Program:
• Irish Rover – The Clancy Brothers — I think it might just be illegal to listen or better yet sing along with this song sober in Ireland. So hoist your glasses and catch up lads and lasses! Remember to belt out the chorus and the part about “Mic McCann…the Skipper of the Irish Rover”. And Smile in your bonny green sweaters, me dears! In case you want to sing along this fine St Paddy’s Day here are the lyrics.
• Mac Miller — Dang!(featuring Anderson Pakk) — This one come from my youngest grandson, Asa. He says, “this particular song really makes me feel good and gives me goose bumps. It doesn’t matter if other people don’t like the song, if it gives you goose bumps then its amazing..” This one comes from his 2016 release, “The Devine Feminine.”
• alt-J — U&ME — This was my son, Sean’s choice, happy summer dreaming song. This one came from their 2022 release, “The Dream”
• Sly and the Family Stone – Family Affair – Hearing Sly and the Family Stone always makes me smile. This song kind of sums up our week this week for me. There is a special joy I feel when we all share the same space. This is from thier 1971 release, “There is a Riot Going On”.
• The Beatles – I’ve Just Seen a Face — This is our daughter in law, Jenny’s ringtone. We had a great conversation about watching “Get Back” when she picked this song. This one comes from their 1965 release “Help”.
• a-ha – Take on Me – Speaking of Ringtones! My daughter Jess has this one. It comes from their, “Hunting High and Low” released in 1985.
• Just the Two of Us – Grover Washington – Chole, our youngest granddaughter, chose this great song. This one comes features Bill Withers and comes from Grover Washington’s 1980 release, “Winelight”.
• I’ll Make a Man Out of You – Donny Osmond – This one comes from my eldest granddaughter. This song is from the Mulan soundtrack released in 1998.
That’s it… Do the best you can; Laugh every chance you get; Always remember… The best is yet to come! As always, thank you for being my friend!