August 27th, 2020
“Beyanî baş”, or “Good Morning!” in Sorani Kurdish, which is spoken in western Iran and much of Iraqi Kurdistan. It is Day 161 of the California Lock Down. Our surge has slowed in San Diego and the governor has removed our county from the state’s watchlist so we may see some easing of controls starting up again.
I am getting into my new routine. I still stumble in in the late afternoon completely drained, sweaty and needing a nap but I no long wish I was dead:)
This week I learned some stuff:
• I started a new stained glass panel using lead came instead of copper tape. A dear friend of mine just asked me to do a panel for a spot over her sunroom door. I am so honored that she would think of me for this piece and scared to death of not having the skills I need yet.
• August 27th is the 240th day of the year (because 2020 is a leap year – but there still only 120 days till Christmas!). Today in 1859, the first commercially successful oil well was established in Titusville, PA; Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change today in 1866; On this day in 1939, First flight of the turbojet-powered Heinkel He 178, the world’s first jet aircraft; In 1956, the nuclear power station at Calder Hall in the United Kingdom was connected to the national power grid becoming the world’s first commercial nuclear power station to generate electricity on an industrial; On this day in 1962, the Mariner 2 unmanned space mission is launched to Venus by NASA; In 1906, Ed Theadore Gein or The Butcher of Plainfield, American murderer and body snatcher was born; In 1908, Lyndon B. Johnson, American politician, 36th President of the United States was born; Ira Levin, American novelist, playwright, and songwriter was born today in 1929; Daryl Dragon, American keyboard player and songwriter otherwise known as “The Captain” of The Captain and Tennille was born today in 1942; Paul Reubens, or PeeWee Herman, American actor and comedian was born today in 1952; And finally, Greg Morris, American actor who started in TV shows Mission Impossible and Vega$, passed away today in 1996.
This week we made the following changes:
• Week two for our “New” Vocabulary Quiz Woooo Whooo!!!
• I am afraid that it will be one more week for the “New” UJT Musical Trivia Quiz! I just ran out of time.
• I did manage to come up with one new dish this week – Scorched Scallions and Green Beans Ramen that I thought turned out pretty tasty.
Writing, Ceramics and Painting Update:
• This week I managed to attend one Zoom Art Class with is actually more like a coffee club these days.
• Grandpa Stories is still not re-published.
• It feels good to be “out there” serving a purpose someone thinks is worthy of a paycheck. I mean more money always helps but having a mission without having to create it for yourself is kind of nice too.
Once again, your fossilized DJ takes you on another tiptoe though the archives to share some things you might missed or never have heard or at least not heard recently.
This week’s UJT Radio Program:
• Cake —Moustache Man(Wasted) — This is a another song my brother Mike turned me on to this week. I really love the mix and especially the sax parts. This one comes from their 2011 release, “Showroom of Compassion”.
• 10cc – I’m Not in Love – This is a kind of space song from their “The Original Soundtrack” album released in 1975. This was a big change in style from a band that closely resembled the style of Queen when they first came out.
• Jefferson Airplane — White Rabbit — This was their first big hit and was the definition of the new “psychedelic” music of the time. It was release in 1967 on their, “Surrealistic Pillow” album
• Frank Sinatra — The Girl from Ipanema — Old Blue Eyes makes this one really cool! You can almost squint and feel the breeze as he sings this old standard.
• Lifehouse — Broken — Every once awhile a song will catch me just right and the tears will start flowing. I cannot explain it but this song seems to connect me to all the sadness I have ever felt. This on is from their 2007 release, “Who We Are”.
• Vance Joy — First time — By now you all are probably sick of my gushing over this artist. But I cannot help it! His music is so compelling to me. This is from his “Dream Your Life Away” released in 20214.
That’s it… Do the best you can; Laugh every chance you get; And always remember … The best is yet to come! As always, thank you for being my friend!