White Trash Hash Rev. 2
I had been making this for a number of years when I decided to change things up a bit. I hope you like the new and improved rev. Careful about adding salt and pepper between the hash and gravy it can end up salty.Ingredients You can add or subtract the cheese, gravy and peppers depending upon your audience. It is still real good!
1 lb. frozen hash browns (not thawed)
6 slices of good smoked bacon, cut into 3/4 in pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 Serrano peppers, deseeded and deveined, thinly sliced
1 c. Shredded Monterey Jack (optional or can be added before serving
4-5 large eggs
2 Tbs butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Chopped chives or cilantro, for garnish
FOR THE GRAVY
1/3 lb. breakfast or hot Italian sausage, casings removed,
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole milk (start with a cup but you may have to add more to get the right consistency depending upon the fat content of the sausage)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large cast-iron skillet, add bacon pieces and fry until just getting firm. If you are having sausage gravy, break up and brown sausage in another skillet over medium heat.
- Add hash browns and cook undisturbed for 10 minutes, add oil as needed, then flip and cook 5 minutes more, until golden.
- Add onions and bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are tender, 5 minutes more. Add garlic and sliced Serrano peppers and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add cheese to hash browns mixture and let melt, 2 minutes. Stir together so hash browns are fully cheesy.or allow folks to add the own cheese before eating.
- Make nests for eggs and crack eggs in each. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Make a small hole in the middle of the potatoes and added 1/3 cup of water. Cover and cook until whites are set and yolks still slightly runny, 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your sausage gravy. Sprinkle flour over the browned sausage and cook 1 minute. Mix in milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until very thick, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Remove from heat. Add more fluids (milk or water as needed to keep the consistency you want.
- Serve hash drizzled with breakfast gravy and garnished with chives or finely chopped scallions or cilantro.