Wild Ass Pork Loin
I stumbled across this video on FB. No recipe per se, but I followed along and really liked what I saw. I didn’t even tweak it much.
1-2 lbs. pork tenderloin
1/2 lbs. smoked bacon
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp herbs of Provence
1 tsp Tajin spice
Salt substitute & coarse ground pepper
For the sauté:
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp thyme
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz of hard cheese (Cheddar, Gruyere, Parmesan) (Optional)
For the Potatoes”
1-1.5 lbs. baby gold potatoes, halved or quartered of the same size
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 Tbs olive oil
5-6 cups boiled water
For the glaze:
2 Tbs Thai Sweet chili sauce
1 tsp apple vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbs whole grain mustard seeds Or whole grain mustard
For the dipping sauce:
1 cup Greek yogurt
3 scallions, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp key lime juice
- Dry loin and slice down the middle long ways to create a stuffing envelope. Season the butterflied fillet with salt substitute and coarse ground pepper.
- Combine the paprika, garlic powder, Herbs of Provence, and Tajin Spice. Mix well. Sprinkle the spice mixture all over the loin and rub it in. Set aside on a parchment paper cover-rimmed cooking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and start the water to boil.
- Spray olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add oil, and add onions. When they start to clear add sliced mushrooms and sauté until the onions are clear and the mushrooms have darkened. Add salt substitute and coarse ground pepper to taste. Add garlic and thyme and stir. Remove from heat and set aside to cool a bit.
- Insert the sautéed, onions and mushrooms into the butterfly of the loin fillet. Spread evenly. Add cheese over the top of the onion-mushroom mix.
- Place bacon slices overlapping 1/4 in crossways and tucked in under the loin until the entire loin is covered.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Place the cut potatoes inside the bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow the potatoes to steep for 10 minutes. Drain and return to the bowl. Add olive oil paprika, salt substitute, and pepper to taste and stir coating the potatoes.
- Place potatoes around the stuffed loin on the parchment-covered cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add Greek yogurt, scallions, garlic, and key lime juice. Mix well. Salt substitute and Pepper to taste. Set dipping sauce aside.
- In a saucepan on low-medium, add chili sauce, apple cider vinegar, soy, and mustard and mix. Simmer until the glaze thickens.
- Remove loin from oven after 40 minutes, brush on glaze, and return to oven for 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let the loin rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve sliced loin roast and potatoes with the dipping sauce or perhaps some corn relish.