August 3rd, 2023
“ Dobroho ranku”, or “Good Morning!” in Ukrainian, an Eastern Slavic language spoken mainly in Ukraine. I have decided that the UJT will remain focused on Ukraine until we can all rejoice at the end of hostilities. It has been 518 days since Russia invaded Ukraine.
A BIG SHOUT OUT to the Great Left Coast Poker, Smoke & Lies (GLCPS&L) members on this, the 17th anniversary of their first game at Tommy’s. For the unenlightened the game was founded on this day in 2006 by 4 GRR (Gifted Rif-Raf) and a series of DREGs (DREGS- Please see here for definitions and details for definitions). So, to all GRRs and DREGs, both past and present. Thank you for your contributions – monetary and otherwise. It has been an honor and a privilege!
I am looking at replacing our car. I was all excited about the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid SUV until I found out they quit making it. I still like the Crosstrek but I am having to settle for the gas version – Oh Joy! Adventures in Car Shopping Land!
Fathers and sons. I am so grateful to my son, Sean for his tolerance and big heart that enabled us to have the kind of relationship, I am sure my dad only dreamed about. My dad and I didn’t connect until I was an adult and in the Navy. I am not saying I was “ All Growed Up” but i was working on it. My dad gave me help when I needed it most. He gave me the confidence to change myself and find myself. Over the years since that time, we became closer. He left us far too soon but he left with my full admiration, gratitude, and love. So Dads can be hard for sons and vice versa, but the results are worth the trials; At least in my case.
This week I learned some stuff:
- Part of my Cardiac Rehab is Mindfulness. This week we explored how mindlessly we consume food. It was so obvious it was shocking. We combine eating with all sorts of distractions so we eat too often, too much and mostly the wrong things. Because we don’t think about it as an activity that must be mindful to be healthy. For me this was a wake-up call. For YEARS, I have eaten. reading a book, sitting in front of the TV or staring at my phone or both but what I wasn’t doing is thinking about eating. To be mindful and healthy about eating, you need to first figure out if you are actually hungry or if you are eating for some other reason. Next, you need to consider how full you are while you are eating. Eat each bite, chew it well, and listen to yourself. Do you need more or are you full. No matter how good something tastes if you have too much, you get TFT! Too Full Tummy which is no fun. But these kind of ingrained over years habits are hard to break. You just have to brute force it. This week I actually stopped eating before I finished my second piece of Detroit Style Pizza! But I still want to reach for the remote or my phone. I am forcing myself to eat at the table and leave my phone and tv remote on the coffee table.
- August 3rd is the 215th day of 2023. Just 143 days till Christmas. On this day in 1492, Christopher Columbus sets sail from Palos de la Frontera, Spain; Today in 1936, Jesse Owens wins the 100 meter dash, defeating Ralph Metcalfe, at the Berlin Olympics; The world’s first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus, becomes the first vessel to complete a submerged transit of the geographical North Pole today in 1958; On this day in 1977, Tandy Corporation announces the TRS-80, one of the world’s first mass-produced personal computers; Today in 2004, the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty reopens after being closed since the September 11 attacks; Elisha Otis, American businessman, founded the Otis Elevator Company was born today in 1811; Ernie Pyle, American soldier and journalist born today in 1900 and on that same day, John T. Scopes, American educator was born as well; Today Leon Uris, American soldier and author was born in 1924; Tony Bennett, American singer and actor was born today in 1926;Also today in 1926, Gordon Scott, American actor (the 11th Tarzan); Martin Sheen, American actor and producerwas born today 1940; B. B. Dickerson, American bass player and songwriter for WAR was born today in 1949; Jay North, (AKA Dennis the Menace American actor; was born today in 1951; Creme Puff, tabby domestic cat, oldest recorded cat was born today in 1967; Finally, we lost Arthur Lee, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and produce for the band Love today in 2006.
This week’s Website Update:
- A New Vocabulary Quiz !! Yeah!!
- Week 2 for our Musical Trivia Quiz
- This week I came up with some tasty recipes for you all and most of them are healthier than you might think. The Stuffed Portobellos are made with Turkey breakfast sausage. I made Ratatouille for the first time this week, swapping out the eggplant with beets but it was tasty. Both were pretty easy and fast.
- The Home Page quote for this week is from one of my favorites, Mark Twain, “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Writing, Ceramics, Bonsai Trees, Stained Glass, and Painting Update:
- I have done such a good job of procrastination on the stained glass project!!! I really will make something happen this week.
- I now remember why i put down my red pen while doing the paper edits! So I lied when I said that “I am happy to report that I have taken up my red pen for the paper edits on Grandpa Stories”. After all this time I hope I can find the source document file.
- Darrian came home for a parental visit with her cats! I was so good to see her but letting go is hard. Our other granddaughter, Chloe won her first tennis championship last weekend. I am so proud of all our girls! I guess that’s not so weird. 🙂
Here is a new batch of music for you to try out. Enjoy.
This week’s UJT Radio Program:
- Stephen Stills & Judy Collins — Questions — All this time and they are still playing together. This is from their duet album “Everybody Knows” released in 2017. This song was originally written and recorded by Stephen in 1968 when he was with Buffalo Springfield.
- Atlanta Rhythm Section — Spooky — There was always something about this song. I got to see them do it one time and it was even better live. This one is from their 1979 release called, “Underdog”.
- Jamie Callum — All at Sea — Jamie is an acquired taste I think. My daughter turned me on to him way back when this song was new. It was released on his “Twentysomething” album in 2003.
- Henry Paul Band — Grey Ghost — I have no recollection of how I became aware of the band that Henry Paul formed during his hiatus from The Outlaws. This is the title cut from their album released in 1979, which I didn’t hear about until 2022!
- Country Joe and The Fish — I Feel Like I am Fixin’ to Die — A blast from the past! This one is the title cut from their 1967 release. Gimme an F!
- Matchbox Twenty – Unwell — From their, “Exile on Mainstream” album. This record is one of my all-time favorites… these guys are just “bitchin’ “!
That’s it… Do the best you can; Laugh every chance you get; Always remember… The best is yet to come! As always, thank you for being my friend!